Welcome to another culinary adventure with PortuGourmet. Today, we’re taking a deep dive into the heart of Portuguese cuisine with a classic dish known as Bacalhau à Brás. This traditional recipe, which beautifully melds together shredded codfish, golden fries, and creamy scrambled eggs, is a testament to the culinary artistry of Portugal.
Originating from a tavern in the Bairro Alto district of Lisbon, Bacalhau à Brás is a cherished dish in Portugal. It’s a shining example of how humble ingredients can be transformed into a gastronomic delight with a bit of skill and creativity. Let’s embark on the journey of creating this delightful dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 800 grams of Salted Codfish
- 800 grams of Potato
- 2 Onions
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 6 Eggs
- Parsley to taste
- 15 Black olives
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons of Olive oil
- 1 liter of Frying oil
- Begin by cooking the Codfish in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes. Once cooled, remove the bones and skin and cut into small pieces.
- Peel the Potatoes and cut them into very thin fries. Fry these in hot oil until they are crispy and golden.
- Cut the Onions in half and then into strips. Finely chop the garlic and Parsley.
- In a large saucepan, heat the Olive oil and sauté the Onions and garlic for a few minutes. Add the cooked Codfish and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Finally, add the crispy fries and mix gently.
- Beat the Eggs in a separate bowl, adding half the Parsley, Salt, and Pepper. Pour this mixture into the pan with the Codfish, onions, and fries, mixing well. Allow this to cook on low heat for a few moments.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and serve in a dish. Garnish with the remaining Parsley and Black olives.
Serving and Enjoying Bacalhau à Brás
Bacalhau à Brás is best enjoyed hot, served straight from the stove. The additional parsley and black olives not only add a vibrant touch of color but also enhance the flavor profile of the dish. Pair this hearty meal with a glass of Portuguese wine for a truly authentic dining experience.
Whether you’re a novice to Portuguese cuisine or a long-time aficionado, Bacalhau à Brás is a dish that will surely delight your taste buds. Its simplicity and depth of flavors make it a shining star in the galaxy of Portuguese culinary delights.
Bacalhau à Brás is more than a meal; it’s a culinary journey through the heart of Portugal. It highlights the versatility of codfish, a cornerstone of Portuguese cuisine, and the transformative power of combining simple ingredients with love and expertise. So why not bring a piece of Portugal into your home with this delectable dish?